(Syrian National Council) National Charter: the Kurdish Issue in Syria
Syrians of all backgrounds shall continue their revolution to seize freedom and dignity from a regime which has insulted and wasted human life, and has become accustomed on killing, assaulting, and terrorizing. A regime that has claimed the lives of some twenty thousand Syrians, injured, imprisoned, and tortured hundreds of thousands in plain sight and earshot of the world community.
On the basis of national responsibility incumbent upon all political forces that fall within the framework of Syrian revolution, and based on the document “National Covenant for the Future of Syria” singed by parties across the opposition spectrum, and on a belief in the need to redress the injustice practiced on Kurdish people along decades, and the special circumstances that the Kurds have endured, the Syrian National Council has issued this National Charter that contains its vision and commitments to resolve the Kurdish issue in Syria, inviting all forces and political figures to sign it.
Political forces signatories to the charter shall agree on the parameters of commitment to the program of the Syrian Revolution, represented by working to topple The Assad junta Regime, building civil democratic Syria, unifying efforts in the political arena and the field, and establishing an effective national partnership according to the following principles:
1.The Syrian National Council and signatories confirm their commitment to constitutional recognition of the national identity of Kurdish people, and consider the Kurdish issue part and parcel of the national discourse, and the recognition of the national rights of Kurdish people within the framework of the unity of Syria’s land and people.
2. Signatories will Work toward the abolition of all discriminatory policies, decrees and measures applied against citizens, addressing their effects and implications and compensating those affected.
3. The council shall emphasize that the new Syria is a democratic, civil and pluralistic country; its system is republican and based on the principle of equal citizenship and separation of powers, rotation of power, rule of law and expanding the prerogatives of local government.
4. The new Syria shall guarantee for all its components and citizens that which is contained within international laws and conventions on human rights, as well as basic freedoms and equality in rights and duties without any discrimination on the basis of nationality, religion or gender.
5. The signatories commit to fight poverty and to give areas that have suffered from discriminatory policies adequate attention in the framework of development and reestablishing justice in the distributing of the national wealth, working to raise the capabilities and living standards of citizens from all regions and 3 segments of society, especially those areas that suffered from deprivation at the hands of the existing dictatorial regime.
6. The new Syria’s democratic civil system and constitution shall be the basic guarantee for all national and religious components and its social fabric.
7. The Syrian National Council and signatories shall hold events and activities to work towards the recognition of the Kurdish issue in Syria, and acknowledging the suffering that Kurdish citizens have endured through decades of deprivation and marginalization, in order to build a new Syrian culture based on equality and mutual respect.
8. Kurdish signatories shall work to strengthen national participation in their events and activities by emphasizing national unity and inviting representatives from all segments of Syrian society, ensuring participation and constructive interaction with the rest of the national fabric.
9. Signatories will work on the establishment of training programs and workshops to ensure the distinctive participation of the Kurdish youth and activists for the purpose of increasing interaction and strengthening understanding among Syrian youth.T
he coming phase requires the unifying of all Syrian efforts, focusing them in one window to confront this bloody regime, and to protect our people from its assaults and terror, to save Syria from the junta that continues to kill and destroy.
The Syrian National Council and all signatories are committed to working together to protect and defend our people and to secure all means to overthrow the regime and to build a new Syria that protects its citizens and safeguard their rights.
This document is considered as implementation and part of the National Covenant signed by the spectrum of Syrian opposition forces. Syrian National Council
Original document from: Kurdwatch