YPG Rules of Procedure
Name of the organization: YPG in itself is the most powerful faction in Western Kurdistan. Its military organization is known under the name of the People’s Protection Forces (YPG).
The symbol (or flag) of the YPG is yellow in the background with a red star in the center. On the bottom, YPG is written in green letters. To the left and right of the star, are green lines.
The goals of the YPG revolve around a democratic state, the environment and the freedom of the sexes. To build a democratic Syria and Kurdistan. To preserve the morals and the politics of the people. This document should be taken as a basis of self-regulation. In specific regarding the Kurdish people of Western Kurdistan without any religious, language, or gender discrimination. The parties should work towards national and democratic reconciliation. The goal is to reach freedom for all nationalities in Syria and to allow for self-government in Western Kurdistan. It is a priority to protect the people and stopping all sorts of external or internal disruptions of the territory. This is what the YPG stands for; it is not associated to any political party, only to protect. National interests would be subject to the decisions of the Supreme Kurdish Council.
The Mechanisms of Regulation within the YPG
1. The YPG is self-regulating, falling under a general council as well as local ones. This council is made up of three centers, which are: Jazeera, Kobani, and Afrine.
2. The Supreme council of the YPG is the military council which should convene once a year. In case of emergencies it may also be assembled. In the meetings, the accomplishments of the past year are recorded and a plan for the upcoming year is formulated.
3. The military council: the YPG is composed of 55 people who meet every 6 months and it is responsible of all actions of the YPG.
4. The general council: is responsible for the daily activities of the YPG and to enforce all decisions of the military council, they have to make and stick to a fixed plan.
5. The local military council: it is linked to local decisions and works based on these, it also serves as a seat for several council members, depending on the size of the center. It should meet up every 3 months.
6. The YPG is made up of 3 main branches: the regular forces, the resistance forces and the local forces.
7. It works based on the orders, decisions teachings of a democratic center. And the suggestions by the subsidiary councilc given that the general council agrees with them.
8. Each fighter is set and defined by opinions and orders. With the knowledge of the council, the forces arise by the size of the space.
Membership of the YPG
1. A member of the YPG: is based on the credibility and honesty to preserve the national interest of the Kurdish people. And the national interests in an effective, moral manner preserving a democratic society and must join voluntarily.
2. All Syrian citizens above the age of 18 that accept and agree with the principles of the YPG after military and ideological training, and after proving their capability, they may become a member of the YPG.
3. Terminating the membership with the YPG: Any member of the YPG that breaks the rules of war, and regulations is, after a formal decision has been taken, removed from membership any person who does not agree with the specifics of the YPG principles will also be removed.
4. The membership branch of the YPG: based on the social, democratic principle of gender freedom from inside a democratic Syria and free Kurdistan. Based on the principles to preserve political morality without differentiation of religion, language and ethnicity, nationality, gender, party affiliations and against any external attacks. Based on an understanding to protect the integrity and internal rules of the YPG, outside the scope of personal interests and I am in all boldness stating the decision to join the organization despite of all hardships and the will and strength taking this into consideration, in the eyes of Kurdistan and the Kurdish people and all supporters etc.
Personal Qualities of the YPG
1. It is characterized by knowing the revolutionary national democratic life and balance, freedom equality and building a moral and political society.
2. The value of protecting the people
3. Knowing the people’s culture and heritage and the sensitivities of the people such as ancestry, gender, and ethnicity and to work based on this.
4. It acquires basic services of the people and gives the values in basic training.
5. They are trying to teach the people in moral matters and creating awareness on the basis of preserving and regulating their activities in a conscious manner.
6. YPG does not work based on riches because it draws from within the people and distances itself from all forms of individual interests and regional or tribal family associations.
7. They know their stances and are determined to stand by them, while gaining respect from the people.
8. It is founded on democratic ideologies and gender freedom so they reject gender discrimination within the society.
9. They are open to criticism and radical change.
10. They are against all discrimination based on family, religion, political affiliation within the local community; they are the sole judicial authority based on nationalism and democratic thought.
Regulating wings of the YPG
Regulating the women:
1. Within the YPG, women self-regulate.
2. Gender representation is at 40%
3. The female forces are responsible for the protection of women in Western Kurdistan.
4. The women in the YPG are responsible for fulfilling the YPG principles in their councils.
5. The appointment of definition of the female forces in the YPG is done by the female council.
The council of the academies
1. The general council of the YPG: given the internal rules and inside the military council, that were trained will be part of the academic council.
2. The academy leaders: linked to the general council of the YPG, it is self-regulating and does so through sub-assemblies the academies are called (Martyr Khabat Military Academy) and the female academies are called (Academy of the Martyr Shilan).
3. The training compromises political and military training based on democratic, nationalistic and free life to acquire moral principles.
4. The training in the academies is conducted in a strategic manner, taking into consideration the protection of this project including technical skills and military tactics.
5. The military academies of martyr Khabat: the candidates joining the YPG find professionals who will send them to courses where they will learn the skills and requirements of the council to open the courses.
6. The academies of the martyr Khabat are led like a military academy and self-regulate from all sides and the establishment of such a branch is needed.
7. As part of the academies, specialized courses will be given on heavy weaponry, mines and sniping etc.
Border units (border council)
1. It is based on border outposts and among the military branches. (block)
2. The regulation of the brigades is done from within 3 control centers. Each center represents a platoon.
3. Border units are responsible for searching and monitoring the border.
4. The border control units are forbidden from using phones except for council communications which are done through cellphones.
5. Only specific points on the border are meant to be crossed, no one is allowed to give the permission to cross.
6. If there are any attempts to cross the border, an investigation should be launched, goods confiscated and the goods as well as people should be transferred to those responsible.
7. At border posts, there are necessary works.
8. The border control develops its own educational and life program.
The living institution (logistics)
1. The council of the logistics is responsible for ensuring the needs are covered.
2. The main goal of the logistics council is to supply the needs of the military council and the army units.
3. The logistics institution is based in the square and distributes based on the needs of the branches.
4. The logistics institute will work within their budget, any additional funding that is needed must be agreed upon by the high council.
5. They must collect and buy all supplies before distributing them distributing them in a meaningful way without allowing for any materialistic ambitions to arise.
6. This practice should be founded on communistic and democratic principles; it should be regulated logically and systematically.
7. Supplies should always be stored 6 months in advance.
The institute of record archives.
1. The record archives: it is regulated by the YPG council; it should register all records on the forces in a logical and systematic way.
2. It works in all centers of councils and it sends the records of the fighters to the archive centers in the general council headquarters.
3. The record archives: registers the specialized military ID of every member in his specific file.
4. The media/ information work is also regulated under this.
5. All archival works are secret and confidential; no one should have access to them.
The institute for ammunition and gear
1. This institute is founded in the council headquarters and the branch centers.
2. The institute is responsible for storage, registration and protection of gear and ammunition.
3. The ammunition and gear depot distributes based on necessity, this institute is responsible for the protection of the goods.
4. I should be prepared for any outbreak of war by storing the ammunition and gear based on this and it should not waste the supplies.
5. The centers limit the amounts they buy and the institution must stay in contact with the centers.
6. The ammunition and gear must be distributed based on the needs of the forces and council which are set beforehand by those responsible.
1. The financial institution regulates itself under the ceiling of the general council and is responsible for the fiscal policy.
2. It is responsible for checking all exports and imports.
3. It is responsible for auditing the centers and points of funding support.
4. It receives the decisions from al headquarters in an official manner. And submits its decisions to the general council.
5. From the monetary side; it is responsible for the logistics institute.
1. The Koria units are founded under the general council depending on the need, it is also the liaison between the general leaders and the branch leaders.
2. Every branch council creates a Koria unit specialized to it as a way of communication with other headquarters.
Article 15: Regulation in the YPG
The military rule in the YPG functions based on 3 columns which are
1. Team: This is made of 3 to 5 people.
2. Crew: made of 2 teams.
3. Company (block): made of 3 crews.
4. Battalion: made of 3 companies
5. The provincial councils: it is simultaneously considered the leader of the brigades.
1. The professional units are founded from within the paradigms of a democratic and balanced society and gender freedom with the goal of removing the barriers to freedom off the Kurdish people. These units are founded from two specifications in the YPG, volunteers within 24 hours having concluded training in politics, military and reason, having understood the protection of the project.
2. In times of peace and when the terms allow them to take leave for a week every month after receiving permission from the specific leadership for the professional units.
· Nationalists and defenders of the people
· Democrats and advocates
· Friends of intellect, heroes
· Ethical and practical, friends of action
· Understanding of methods, technical tactics
· Bound by the rules of instruction
· Friends of order developing the self by training the self.
· Given that they are friends of democratic ideology, balance, so they will reject the habits of society.
· They accept criticism and they are open to change
The Units of Resistance
1. They are founded from the cadres of the provinces and districts; they are founded as one or two to stand against the attacks of the colonial enemy. They are in a state of constant readiness.
2. The selection of members for the resistance is done with care and scrutiny of the people that are trusted
3. All cadres receive specialized training
4. These units are hidden, no one knows, even the members don’t know each other
5. The members of these units are friends of order and manner of special work
6. In all conditions and qualifications protecting their ability to kill
These are the people’s protection at the core understanding the protection project from within the people with the goal of protecting equality, freedom and the work on the basis of orders and regulations.
The members of the local units: are the forces wars from within the people. They are present in all parts of the nation joint in the military efforts without being separate from the people.
1. Without being separate from civilian life and the society, nationalists and friends of the military forces and they do not have any supply returns and friends of certain thought
2. Serious high friends in work protecting the people’s interests
3. They work in technical and tactical methods for war and killing through their training
4. They are specialized in understanding the essentials of protection and they moved based on political goals
5. Members of the local units do not belong to any order of social movement
6. They are not tied to any importance of other goal; they are tied to their goals as protection units.
7. And from within they follow their social life they work, they are responsible for their families and they do not mix in any way between their social life and military life. In this, they do not mix based on grounds of personal interests.
8. Within this, they apply their national work and join their full belief to their works as units and they are not permitted to leave their work in any way
1. The Method of Works and Orders:
They work based on a centralized democracy, and it is meant to rule over information and orders and it looks like a democracy this means implementation after meetings and debates which take place in the presence of all members get suggestions if necessary.
2. The Decisions:
Around the work that is implemented from the bottom to the top and this is so that the leadership is aware. The members of the units implement the information after taking them directly and this is given to them in a report of the work of the leaders that gave the information. Each unit and each branch leader submits a report of their work orally and as text to the high council in a formerly fixed time period. On the condition that they meet and give the report ready to be decided upon. The branch institutions that do not provide a report are dismissed from work.
3. The Meeting:
· All of our forces participate in meeting based on need
· In the military, the report is submitted daily and once every three days, they hold a meeting to discuss and evaluate them.
· The hidden teams and local teams take a weekly report and meet every 15 days to evaluate those reports and discuss them and propose them as reports to their superiors.
· The crews, every 15 days, the companies hold their meetings monthly and submits its report to their superiors
· All institutions and centers hold their meetings monthly and submits the reports to the high council
4. The System:
Military operations need a much disciplined system and a system which covers all military orders which is linked to freedom, will and building a democracy. The system strengthens the work and actions of a unit, it brings with it victory. Victory may only be achieved through struggle, commitment to laws and fundamental system.
The rules that must be obeyed and worked upon
· They should work based on the secret and hidden laws
· Commitment to intellectual tasks
· No hesitation in the eyes of the enemy
· Not allowing grounds to bypass the principles of struggle
· Protecting the principles of the supplies (weapons and ammunition) that are given and used if need arises.
· Care in a social manner to work and paying attention to personal health
· Initiative and resistance against all difficult situations
· Development of action plans in advance and time management
5. Critique and Self-Criticism :
Criticism and self-criticism are considered to be important for members to rid themselves of their personal faults and to commit to principles of freedom, intellect and democracy. Every member of the YPG is responsible for self-criticism and criticism in official meetings. He should not use destructive criticism but instead constructive criticism.
Mistakes and Sanctions
Since the YPG is a military system, including in its ranks professional, resistance and local units, mistakes are considered a crime that must be punished. Mistakes and crimes are divided into two categories.
· Mistakes of war (war crimes) are considered grave mistakes
· Mistakes breaking the rules
War crimes are submitted to military courts, mistakes that break the rules will fall under regular investigation (platforms)
The mistakes that will be submitted to military courts:
· Acts that aid the enemy
· Betrayal of the principles of struggle
· Actions which hinder the preparation of democracy and the struggle of freedom. Acts that hinder the forces of freedom
· Obstructing the efforts of fighter during a military campaign on enemy targets
· Tasks and views that lead to committing grave mistakes.
· The use of cruel methods and violence for any reason other than protection
· Being the reason for the death of colleagues
· Braking the rules with regard to the unit
· Disregarding the principles of struggle and the nation
· Breaking the rules of the unit and the nation
People that have been charges with such a crime shall be tried in a military court and all their military activities will cease based on a decision by the military court.
· Concealing issues from the leadership and disregarding work
· The appearance of personal activities during work, which are not pressing matters
· Standing in the way of unit activities
· Leaving the post without an official permission to resign
· Going outside of the decisions or rules or executing them late
· Failing to support colleagues and leaving them without control
· Probing into confidential material
· Detection and notification of third parties of activities.
· Failing to protect equipment that is supplied to members
· Giving false information to the high council
· Being late to inform the high council on matters
· Failing to complete tasks on time
· Accepting the annexation and expulsion of members without a proposal from the lower leadership to the superior one.
The mistakes that break the law will undergo a regular investigation and interrogation. This depends on the gravity of the crime (the discontinuation of the membership and ceasing all provisions etc.)